It is caused by an allergic reaction to pollen. In Ayurveda, such allergies are thought of being caused due to hypersensitivity of the nervous system.
Causes of Rhinitis :-
Some of the causes include
- inhalation of smoke and dust
- staying awake in the night
- sleeping in the daytime
- exposure to cold and chilly weather
- increased sexual activity
- not being in balance with the season, and the suppression of natural urges
- Obstruction of nasal passage
- blocked nose
- Runny nose for long time even for weeks
- Itching or irritating nose, eye, and throat
- Continuous heavy sneezing
Symptoms of Rhinitis :-
- Tickling sensation and irritation in the nostrils
- Body ache
- Watery eyes
- Running nose
- Hoarseness of the voice
- Headache and heaviness in the head
- Increased nasal discharge
- Itching in the nose, Irritation in the nose
- Obstruction in the nose
- Congested nasal passage
- Difficulty in breathing
- Infection in the middle ear
- Skin allergies could result due to nasal allergies
Ayurved perspective on Rhinitis :-
The basis in ayurveda is that the three doshas, pitta, kafa and vayu should be in balance.
If there is imbalance it leads to disease. Rhinitis, according to ayurveda, is due to high amount of toxins in the body that reduce immunity.
Increase in kapha due to toxins also gives rise to rhinitis. Improper digestion or mandagni is another cause because poor digestion leads to acidity and increase of toxins.
Eating wrong combination of foods or dining at inappropriate time can also cause rhinitis.
Therapy to treat Rhinitis are as follows :-
- Detoxification processes
- Panchakarma Therapy (Nasyam, Lepanam, Thalam, Vamanam, Shirodhara)
- Oral medicines
- Dietary and life style modifications.
Naturopathy Therapy for Rhinits are :-
- Hot and cold Fomentation
- Kati Snana
- Mud Therapy
Other Meditation Therapy Offer as :-
- Life Style Modification
Natural Treatment for Rhinitis at Home
- It is advisable to fast for a day and drink only warm water with lemon juice, ginger and honey. Fasting for two days is even better.
- Consume foods that remove phlegm like pepper, chilli, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Do not consume oily and fried foods. Instead make soups with the above ingredients.
- Add turmeric, black pepper and yashtimadhu to water, boil it and consume it throughout the day.
- Mix cinammon powder, licorice powder, clove and black pepper powder and mix with honey. Lick the mixture.
- Make a decoction of tulsi, mint and green tea with ginger and lemon and drink it.
- Inhalation of steam can be good. Just add eaucalyptus leaves or oil to water and inhale the steam.
- Exercise regularly to prevent rhinitis
You can practise yoga and kapalbhati. Ardha chandrasan, veerbhadrasan, setu bandhasan and salaba sarwangasan are very helpful to prevent rhinitis and to bring about quick relief.
With ayurvedic and natural treatments there are no side effects. You emerge healthier after these treatments and your immunity increases so you are less susceptible to future attacks.